Monday, April 21, 2014

April 20, 2014, Nationals Park (DC). Shake Shack.


So on Sunday April 20, 2014, I wanted to try out Shake Shack in Nationals Park (http://www.shakeshack.com/location/nationals-park/).  I was hoping to get to the game early enough to make gate opening and take advantage of this year's Signature Sundays at all home Nationals games. Unfortunately, the Metro didn't feel like helping me out but I did get to go to Shake Shack. 

For those who don't know, every home Sunday game with the Nationals they have two players signing autographs about an hour and a half before game time.  The catch is you have to get to the stadium early enough to pick up a voucher at section 109 or 142.  Basically, if your at the gate when they open you might get a voucher (center field gate opens 2 1/2 hours before game time....with a 1:35 game time it opens around 11 AM).  I got to the stadium around 11:15 AM and all the vouchers were gone.  Good old metro taking longer than normal on the Green Line. 

Line for Signature Sunday...the lucky ones with vouchers


I choose to check out Shake Shack since if your getting to the Stadium in hopes to get in around 11 AM there isn't much outside the Stadium that is open.  Most of the surrounding restaurants open at 11 AM so my only choice was to eat in the Stadium and I figure I should try a burger place I haven't been to before. 

So Shake Shack it was.  Shake Shack is located on the 200 level by the Scoreboard walk.  There are several concession around there and they open up when the gate opens (Some of the concessions don't open up until an hour and a half before game time).  The area is decent and there are several places to sit and eat without being crammed in your normal seats for the game. 
View from Scoreboard Walk

Scoreboard Walk Area and Seating



So at Shake Shack I ordered a single ShackBurger (100% Angus beef cheeseburger topped with lettuce tomato and ShackSauce), fries, and a Bottomless Souvenir Soda.

ShackBurger and Fries
The burger was very good.  I would put it on par with a five-guys type burger.  My only complaint was the bun was a little soggy.  Not a deal killer but it would have been nice to have some firm buns (who doesn't like firm buns).  The fries were excellent as well.  Nothing super special but definitely a good compliment to the burger. 

Of course being in the Stadium food wasn't exactly cheap.  I got the burger for about $6.50, fries for about $5.25, and the deal of the whole meal (believe it or not) was the soda for $9. 

$9 Bottomless Souvenir Soda
Now I know what your thinking....he paid $9 for a Soda?  The short answer...yes.  But the best part about it is you can refill it as much as you like during the game at any concession stand.  If you don't mind occasionally waiting in lines its not a bad deal (some busy/crowded games you may have to wait in long lines to get a refill).  Now I know your thinking just like me....hey I can buy one cup and bring it to any Nationals Game with me and get free soda.  Well...you sir would be wrong.  Why?  They put a color and number sticker on the bottom of the cup just to stop geniuses like you and me.  Some of the concessioners will mean mug you and force you to show them the sticker (I was half tempted to flip a full drink upside down with no lid just to show them the sticker....but they probably wouldn't find the humor in that).

I know your thinking...."I can't drink $9 of soda"....and your probably right. But you can try.  I managed to get a drink, and 3 refills.  When I was tired of soda I turned the cup over to my friend who joined me in the game around the 5th inning.  So basically we got 5 sodas for $9....not a bad deal in a Stadium.  So buying one would be great for families with kids going to the ballpark....and each kid can take a turn refilling the drink with soda of their choice. 

So after I ate my food I went to my seats to enjoy the game.  The Nationals played the St. Louis Cardinals that day, and Stephen Strasburg was pitching for the Nationals.  The entire game was a great pitching dual. Strasburg gave up a run in the 2nd and 5th inning.  The Nationals came back in the bottom of the 7th to tie the game 2-2.  The bottom of the 9th the game was still 2-2.  Then, Ian Desmond started the bottom of the 9th by striking out.  Espinosa came up and got on base with a single. Lobaton came up to bat next...got a hit and drove Espinosa to third. With only one out, men on the corners, they brought in pinch hitter Nate Mclouth (former Oriole).  Mclouth ended up walking thereby loading up the bases for Denard Span, the top of the lineup.  

Denard Span came in hit a fly ball to right filed and the Nationals scored.  

Great game and exciting to the last minute.  Nationals won 3-2.

View from Section 222
Scoreboard view for Section 222







No comments:

Post a Comment