Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May 10, 2014, Pfitzner Stadium (Woodbridge, VA). Potomac Nationals vs Myrtle Beach Pelicans.

On May 10, 2014, I ventured to Woodbridge Virginia to see the Potomac Nationals (Single A affiliate of the Nationals) play the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Single A affiliate of the Rangers).  It was a little overcast that day but was slowly clearing up. The game was honoring police and first responders, and of course there was a give-a-way.

Police Pre-Game Festivities
The give-a-way was a Potomac Nationals logo baseball and was given to the first 1,000 people.  They still had plenty of balls minutes before the game (I'm not sure if they ever ran out).

Give-A-Way Logo Baseball
After entering the gates and getting my logo baseball I went into the team store immediately next to the entrance gate.  The team store is the only place in the ball park that took credit cards (so make sure you have cash if you come to a game here). At the team store I purchased a fitted hat, which I've been doing this year at each team/stadium I visit.

Fitted Potomac Nationals Hat from Team Store
After leaving the team store I decided to pick up some food.  There are few choices at the game, as expected in a Single A stadium and they are all right around the front gate, with some exceptions. Luckily I had enough money to buy food. I decided to eat like a kid and get some ball park food.  I ended up with the mini-corn dogs, onion rings, and of course a souvenir soda.  The total was $16.50, so yes you pay Major League prices which seems to be typical at most minor leagues stadiums.  The souvenir soda wan't a bad deal if you live in Virginia and are near a Circle K store, apparently you get a free soda at Circle K if you hold on to the cup (so basically bottomless soda at a Circle K).

Mini Corn Dogs

Onion Rings

Souvenir Soda
After eating my food, I went to the seats.  I bought tickets right behind home plate in box H, Row A for $14 each (I had tickets for seat 1 and 2). The seats are a bit old, and may be a little uncomfortable.  I actually thought that the bleacher seats, which are cheaper might actually be more comfortable. My seat in particular (seat 1) was not very comfortable since there is a large bar next to me as part of the support for the box. The view was great however, but if you want to sit in the boxes stick with seats right off the isle.  Our seats were actually right next to several scouts and members of the teams playing (they had radar guns, notebook computers and the works). I believe two of the Potomac Nationals Players were sitting in the box next to us (Box G) as a few kids recognized them and got autographs. 

View of the Filed from Seats
The game was pretty good as well.  The Potomac Nationals started off a little rough but then turned it on. The Potomac Nationals won the game 6-5 after leading most of the game 6-3.  I did like watching some of the minor league players even from the other team.  One standout player who likely will be in Double A soon was Joey Gallo #14 and third baseman for the Pelicans. He hit a home run in the game, which was actually his 13th of the year, and was batting with a .317 average. 

View of Filed Game Time

Overall the game was fun and it was nice to see how the minor leagues games and stadiums differ from the Majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment